Monday, July 28, 2008

Perfect Roses...




Is there anything more perfect in life than a beautiful rose? As a true romantic, I would be hard pressed to find any object of nature as pure and exquisite as this treasure from the garden. This is a very special rose bouquet to me. You may recall that a dear childhood friend gave me this pink bouquet when she stopped in to visit this past week.

I must admit that I have been prone to throwing away my roses lately when they have withered on the stem. My house was becoming a sort of dried florist shop with bouquets of old roses gathering dust and dare I say, a few stray cobwebs as well. Have you ever had flowers like that? They have been hanging around for years, stuck in old vases, on shelves and laying as objects of "vintage art" in among your collectibles and vintage treasures. I would have to say that even dried roses start looking tired after a few years. I had become stuck on keeping all of them...they held memories for me...and now a telltale layer of dust too! I finally cleared these old blooms from the past out of my house and I think that my home looked the better for it. Yes, I still have a few special bouquets tucked in here and there...you caught me!

This is a special bouquet that I decided to keep and dry. I love the way they start out fresh and change color after a few days. Each day finds them slightly different in appearance until they are completely dried. It is a marvel to me how they start out so fresh and perfect, yet in their final state they hold an air of incredible beauty. The faded color of the petals, the brown crinkles around the edges and the way the leaves shrivel and dry make me love them as much as when they are freshly picked. In a few short days they go from being new to having a past...a history...and that is why I shall treasure this beautiful bouquet and have a warm spot in my heart for the old friend who surprised me with them one Sunday evening. Until next time, ~Stacy~ xo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a glorious photo! ANd what great memories those evoke! I am so glad you were able to meet up!
Hugs,
Robyn

Unknown said...

Where are you??! COme by and say hello!
Hugs,
Robyn