Monday, July 7, 2008

Marie...






I must admit it...I am a serious Marie Antoinette fan. The whole story of this wispy girl from Austria who was to become the Queen of France is utterly fascinating. It makes one wonder what it was actually like to experience life from her standpoint. When the movie starring Kirsten Dunst was made, it was a fictional look into what her life might have been like. The absolute decadence in this film is amazing. It is probably over the top, but from what I have read in biographies about this Queen and her husband, it may have been closer to the truth than not. Such a feast for the senses...the costumes are lavish with incredible detailing and designs...the palace decor is out of this world. Everthing about this film oozes opulence!

It has been a dream of mine to visit France and perhaps I will one day. My darling niece Shelby recently returned from an 11 day visit to France. I haven't had a chance to speak with her about it yet, but I know that her trip included visiting the Palace of Versailles and Marie Antoinette's little holiday house away from the Palace, the Petit Trianon. Boy, what luck to be able to go to France with your Grade 9 French class as an end of the school year trip!

Once in awhile I wish that I had a costume from this movie. Wouldn't that be something! I would put it on for the entire day and do all of my daily routine wearing it!, well, except for maybe going to the gym! (*_*) I would sweep the floors, make dinner, go out and get my mail, maybe even go down to the grocery store in it. Okay, maybe not! People would think that I was mad...not that I have ever cared about that! It's a nice thing to dream about though isn't it...living in another time and place, although I'm not too fond of the head being chopped off part. Come to think of it, I think I'll just settle for watching the movie... Until next time, ~Stacy~ xo

1 comment:

Jennifer Hayslip said...

Stacey,
I got a tickle out of reading this post. I am a time period movie NUT! One of my all time favortie movies is Dangerous Liasons with Glenn Close. OH MY! The gowns are exquisite!!! Like you I would give anything to own one of the gowns and perhaps have a evening of stepping back in time, attending a grade masquerade ball and dancing the night away. Tee! Hee! So much fun to share the same love and passion with others. :)))
Smiles, Jenn