Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Princess Diana ~ Gone, But Not Forgotten

Can you believe that Princess Diana has already been gone for 10 years? This August 31st marks the 10 year anniversary of her tragic death in Paris, France. I believe that the world is a little less bright without this lovely lady in it. Her compassion, strength and charisma will forever be missed by the people who thought of her as the "People's Princess".

A "Concert for Diana" will take place on July 1st which would have been Diana’s 46th birthday. It will be one of the first events to take place in the new Wembley Stadium in London, England. Proceeds from the concert will go to charities supported by the late Princess and to charities of which Prince William and Prince Harry are Patrons. This concert will be broadcast on television around the world that evening. It is a way for the Princes to celebrate her extraordinary life with all who loved her and to patronize the charites that were so dear to her heart.

On that day I will be flying my UK flag in support of Princess Diana and I will honor the anniversary of her death on August 31st. I am a Monarchist and proud of it, although I was not so enamoured of the position of the Palace when she passed away. If you wonder why I say this, watch the movie "The Queen" with Helen Mirren. It is brilliant! Even though Princess Diana was not perfect in her life, it was hard for me to understand the official position of Queen Elizabeth due to her personal feelings and the fact that Princess Diana was no longer an official member of the Royal Family.

My husband doesn't understand what all the fuss is about with the Monarchy. It is hard for him to comprehend and I suppose it may be hard for many Americans to understand due to the fact that the United States does not have a Monarchy. As a Canadian and a member of the British Commonwealth, we grew up with the Royals and with the existence of the Monarchy. We sang "God Save The Queen" in school, we knew all about Britain and the way the Monarchy works, I saw the Queen twice. It is just something that is instilled in you from a very young age. So yes, I am a supporter of the Monarchy even though they may not make me happy all of the time. Don't even get me going on Prince Charles.....

Please show your support for Princess Diana, the causes she supported and for the Princes by visiting the web site http://www.concertfordiana.com/. As Queen Elizabeth gets up in years, we can only look for great things to come with the future King of England, Prince William, and hope that he will continue the legacy that his Mother created. Oh ~ did I forget Prince Charles...as King of England? Yes, well...can't we just skip him altogether and go straight to Prince William.... (*_*)

No comments: