Monday, September 24, 2007

The Good Earth ~ My Latest Read


Here is my latest read ~ The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I don't know why I haven't read this book until now. I used to be a voracious reader when I was young devouring tons and tons of books. I can remember walking home from school and my bag used to be so heavy because of all of the books I checked out out of the library. I still love to read, but I have not made time for it as I should. I am trying to read a few books per month now and this is one of my latest choices.

I remember my Dad reading this particular book years ago and telling me how good it was. The author Pearl S. Buck won a Nobel Prize for this piece of literary work. The book is set in pre-revoluntionary China and tells the story of Wang Lung, a humble Chinese farmer and his rise to a glorified land owner. It is full of triumphs and struggles including drought, starvation, floods, revolution and the rise of his wealth in troubled times.

This book was quite an easy read, but still captured my attention enough that I did not want to put it down. If you are interested in different cultures and different times, you will enjoy this book. There have been several movies made of it, although I have not seen any of them yet. I ordered one on Netflix that I should be receiving any day. I'll let you know how it turns out! Until next time...~Stacy~

No comments: