Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pretty Pink Organza Flower Pin Tutorial

Fabric flower pins and hair accessories are all the rage and I don't see
them going away any time soon!  Today I thought I would give you a
quick tutorial on a variation of these lovely accessories.




The first thing you will need is some fabric.  For these pins, you will need
the type of fabric that will literally melt or singe the edges.  The fabric that
I am using here is a lovely lightweight organza fabric.  You can find this fabric
in the bridal section of any fabric store.  Silk is also great and I will show
you how to make ruffled silk rose pins in my next tutorial.





First, cut out your fabric into circles and how many circles you cut will depend
on how many layers you want your flower to have.  I cut out 12 circles for
this pin and used a small saucer as a template.  You can make it any size
you want, but you probably don't want to go any larger than a large saucer
so the flower retains its shape.  Don't worry about the edges.  As you can see,
my edges look rather ragged as I cut them out in a hurry, but it doesn't matter
as they will as be "burnt" smooth anyway.

Using a candle as I did, or a tea light, which is probably the better method,
take one layer at a time and gently rotate it above the candle flame using
both hands.  You will get the hang of this quickly, but it does take abit of
practice.  I have had burnt fingers and singed fabric!  You have to find just
the right height...too high and the edges won't melt and too low and you will
singe your fabric.  I also try to gently cup each layer upward while I am burning
the edges so it gives each layer a slightly rounded upward look.





As you can see, each layer starts to take on a petal-like appearance.





When you are all done, your petals will look something like this.  They don't
have to be perfect.  In fact, imperfection makes them rather nice I think!
When cutting your circles at the beginning, you can keep them all the same
size or make each layer slightly smaller than the last which I did.  I actually
cut five large circles, four slightly smaller ones and three smaller ones yet
to give the flower an authentic look, but it's just a matter of taste.




This is what happens when your fabric gets too close to the flame!  Be careful
when doing this, you don't want to start your table, or worse, your house on fire.
Be patient and let the flame work with you, not against you!  In case you do
make a few holes in your fabric, don't worry, you can always "hide" them in
between your other layers.





When you have all of your layers done, gather each size into a group.
You can now see the petals starting to form in this picture.  Then stack
each group on top of each other from the largest to the smallest.





Now it's starting to look like something!

You can now do any adjustments in the look of the flower by moving the
layers around so everything looks even.  If some of the edges are not to
your liking, use your candle again and redo any funny looking edges.
Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect!





Now is the time to sew the layers together and embellish your center.  The
possibilities are endless at this point and you can use a pretty vintage button,
new "bling" buttons or anything you desire.  I like to use pearl buttons or
seed pearl buttons for these flowers.





I actually like to sew the layers together with a few tiny stitches before
adding the center pieces, it just makes it abit easier.  Add your button
or pearls to the center with a few quick stitches and your center is done!





Your flower is almost complete ~ how pretty is this!
They remind me of a gorgeous ranunculus!





For the backing, cut out two circles of matching felt.  I like two circles
instead of one to give the back more strength and stability.





The circles should be abit smaller than the largest petal layer so they
don't show from the front or side of the pin.  I like to use my pinking
shears to give it a nice clean look.  Get out your hot glue gun and
glue the two circles together around the edges and in the center.





Now hot glue the felt backing to the flower.  Don't worry, it won't melt
your fabric!  Now you are ready to attach your pin to the back.  You
can pick up these pins in various sizes at any craft store.  Some people
like to sew these on, I do not!  Sewing them is so fiddely and using your
good old hot glue gun works wonderfully.  There is no way this pin is
going to come off, it is on there for good!  (*_*)





Here is your finished back.  Don't use too much glue or you will have a mess.
Use just enough to cover the back of the pin and press it down gently.





The finished product!

These are so fun and easy.  They are great to make if you are
wanting something to do while watching tv and you can have tons of
circles cut out in different fabrics and colors ahead of time.  Then while
the mood strikes you, just sit down and make yourself a pretty, romantic
accessory to wear this spring!

On my next tutorial, I will make a rose pin using silk fabric.  They are also
very easy to make and end up looking like a gorgeous floppy garden rose!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

~Stacy~

8 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Very charming, I love them. How did you decide on the color?

Shabbyprimdelights said...

wow! These are great....I am going to have to attempt one of these. Thanx for the tutorial..even a dummy like me can follow this :)
Michelle

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Stacy I love them! I am going to try it as I have to perk up a hat I am wearing to a ladies lunch in 2 weeks. Good directions!

Carol

Caroline said...

Thank you Stacy! You make it seem simple and achievable and I am going to try one!
Caroline, NZ

Hassie said...

Oh, Stacy.......this is just beautiful! I must have one made by you. And, I just adore this music playing on your website. May I please have the name of the CD? Thank you so much!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hi, Stacy! You make this look so simple with your great tutorial! I'll have to try this soon. A girl can never have enough pink rose pins now, can she?!?!

Thanks, sweetie!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Peggy said...

OH I love these! I've been making these and intentionally singing the edges using a medium pink fabric. Once completed they look a lot like the wild roses that grow all over the country. I love the idea of using pearl buttons!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing...I am going to have to try this one out!
Daisy~